This week I am participating in the World Bank Conference on Land and. In the two panels that I’ve spoken, I’ve highlighted some core ideas about Land Value Capture for Urban Regeneration and Social Inclusion process towards building sustainable cities.
Long Term Urban Improvement Program increases real estate value, allowing the application of LVC instruments. These must be taken as financing tool and urban policy instrument at same time. In a scenario of an increasing demand for urban infrastructure and services, it can improve local administrations planning and investment capacity.
For that some aspects are fundamental:
- A Long Term Urban Strategy Transformation view
- The dedicated entity to assure the focused implementation
- Strong Government commitment in the beginning
- Strong communication strategy
- Dialogue capacity
- Technical capacity – time for preparation
- Build an environment for investment
- Balance the urban objectives and financial gains
- Promote Quick wins
- Culture and heritage elements appreciation are adding value components for urban regeneration
- Social Inclusion is fundamental to promote mixed use and integration
- It is fundamental to work on the subjective dimension – enhancing self-esteem and belonging – for bringing people on board
- Social inclusion strategy strengths Urban Regeneration Program towards sustainable urban development